More old business. I finished Bonnie Hunter's pattern Cathedral Stars. I am satisfied with how it turned out. However, if I every do it again I think I will eliminate the red and blue borders and only surround it in black. Nevertheless, it's completed and ready for quilting. That is also taking a back seat to my Christmas projects.
|Cathedral Stars top|
In the book the quilt is 7 rows wide and 7 rows deep. As you can see I made mine a 10 block square. I am using this pattern to make two Christmas quilts. They are 7 rows by 8 rows. One is completed, but has to stay a secret. I am half way through the second quilt. I can share the fabric I considered. Not every piece made it into the quilt. More to be reveled.
I love to piece, but sometimes the brain just wants something simple. That is what attracted me to this block.
Reasons to do partial seam blocks.
- Easy way to use scraps: two length of width strips, 3 and half inches wide makes 3 blocks.
- Vertical rows go together quickly.
- Fewer seams to nest.
- Design choices are unlimited.
- Blocks go together quickly. I was able to do nearly 20 blocks in a little over an hour.
- Not really a top or bottom to the block so you don't have to worry about putting a block in the wrong way.
- Number your vertical rows
- Keep numbers on rows till entire quilt together so no rows gets reversed .
- Press each vertical row, reversing the direction of the seams with each row. Row one press up, row two press down. Everything will nest with little effort. No pinning needed.
|Label your rows so there are no reversals during assembly.|
I will finish my blocks for the second Christmas quilt today, and will have it assembled before the end of the week. More old business. Sew the binding on three quilts I quilted last week. Two of those are for Christmas so once they are finished I will have a good start on holiday sewing. I'm also thinking about making some mug rugs using the same block.
My projects-upcoming events:
- Bind three quilts
- Complete one Christmas quilt
- Get appointments to quilt the four quilts that will need quilting.
- Think about making mug rugs with my leftover Christmas fabric.
- Get that granddaughter back here so she can work on her quilt and Christmas mug rugs.
- Enjoy the day.