Sunday, November 24, 2013

Things are coming together

Last week was hectic. The week literally began with a bang. We had a storm, lost power and several trees took down our deer fence and some smaller trees and shrubs. My hubby sweetly reminded me  I was the one "who wanted to live in the woods".  It was some what of a mess, but it was resolved and the fence temporarily repaired.

...and he reminded me "you are the one who wanted to live by the woods"
We had an inspection at work. All went very well, but that was the focus for the week, and little time was left for sewing. That made this weekend especially enjoyable. Jana was here and we used our weekend to pull several projects together. Jana had two projects she wanted to complete and I had one.

Jana's first project was a baby quilt for her Aunt. There is a baby shower next week and she finished the quilt just in time. This weekend all that was left was the binding. and to trim treads and wash it. It turned out adorable and I am sure her aunt will appreciate the love she put into this quilt. Jana also did most of the quilting. This was made entirely from scraps. The pattern is Square Dance. The pink border is 2 1.2 inch squares. The original pattern alternated colored and white squares. Jana decided to do it in pink and sewed strips of her favorite pinks together and cut them into 2 and 1/2 inch rows to make the pink border. It's adorable!

For Sophia


Project two is the Bear Crosses the Mountain quilt. She started this several months ago as a gift for her mom, who lives in South Carolina. When they went to SC they drove to the mountains and actually saw a bear. This quilt was a bit of a bear to complete.. There was difficulty with the thread and some of the piecing was just a little wonky. She decided to add an additional border to the quilt so it would be large enough. I think the sunset fabric added the perfect touch and added a lot of vitality to the quilt.

Bear Crosses the mountains against the setting sun.


I completed an UFO. I hate to admit I actually had one because I  usually  finish a project. This just got put aside to complete Lazy Sunday and before I realized it I forgot about it. The pattern is St. Augustine's Garden. I made it for a gardening friend.  I hope she likes it. The fabric is not my favorite. However she picked it out (without knowing it was for her). I got it back from the long-arm quilter, bound it and washed it. It's ready to go into the gift bag. I am sure she will be surprised. She has no idea I have made her a quilt.

St. Augustine's Garden.


This morning as we cleared our sewing area we pulled out some Christmas fabric. I told Jana about Mug Rugs. Her interest was peaked. We  found some examples  online and decided to see what we could do. We had no pattern, no rules. Just fabric, stuffing and our rotary cutter.

I decided to fancy cut an angel. I went wonky with some stripes. I made my mug rug oblong so there is room for a cookie along with the mug. I am thinking about giving this to my friend with a mug and tea for Christmas.

Wonky Angel-mug rug.


Jana went in a different direction. She decided to do a four patch with a border. Her mug rug is a square. I just loved her fabric. I think she called it snowflake mug rug. All I know it is cute and she is proud of herself. She took it home to show her dad. We are now dreaming up all kinds of mug rugs to make; and thinking about who to make them for. It is fun, fun, fun.


Jana's mug rug


 With all this fun our Craftsy Quilts are getting behind. My quilt is basically together, but I still have to  piece the border, etc. Jana has to do her flying geese and make her border of half square triangles. I think we needed a break from it, but we will get back to it before the end of the year. This project has to be completed before the next year comes along.

It was enjoyable trying something new. I think Jana is hooked, so am I. Thanks for checking in. Have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment