Sunday, February 23, 2014

Granddaughter's project completed and continuing the search for accuracy.



"Jana loves colorful fabric"

What a week. I have been waiting, not so patiently, for the weekend to come so my granddaughter could see her quilt. We just received it from our long arm quilter, Sandy Erwin. Before it was quilted Jana liked it. But quilted she LOVES it. Quilters know that no matter now nice the top, the quilting brings the quilt to life. I was supposed to take a picture of the back to share, but being easily distracted I forgot until now. Here is a close up of the quilting. The back is a tie dye dark blue and the quilting shows, adding additional interest.






Jana said that she wanted to hang this quilt in our sewing area, but I knew she would change her mind once she saw it. Surprisingly she is keeping it at grandmas, for now. It's on her bed, "So when every I come I can wrap up it in". She loves, loves, loves it, and warned me it's staying here for now.....but she might be taking it home.
.



Several of these blocks where a challenge and we both learned that we don't particularly care for some of them, such as the star. Overall it was fun. I still have to complete my quilt, which is not nearly as colorful as Jana's. There was a border of half square triangles in the pattern, but we both where ready to move on to a new project by then.


Grandpa is very bad, he is a big teaser, but Jana is holding on her her quilt.

Quilts are good to cuddle up with.




Saturday night Jana headed home and  I spent my evening catching up on the Delightful Stars Quilt-Along.
Besides making a new star, four stars where joined together to make one section of the quilt.

This weeks lesson

Since I knew this was going to be placed with three other stars I decided to use fabric I used in those blocks. This quilt is going in the direction of a softer palette. I do worry about the quilting in the end. I saw someone mention they should not have used a white thread. I am using a grey. It is a challenge with the dark fabric for the background. However Kona is a nice fabric and the grey isn't showing through. It also blends with all the fabrics I have used up to the point. I also splurged and purchase some Superior Masterpiece thread. I am really liking it.


First section complete.
 I realized that I made a mistake when I put the two rows together. My stars where off less than an 1/16 of an inch, but it drove me nuts, so I took it apart and corrected it. I am so glad I did. There are still a few grey threads to pick our, but I would not have been satisfied if I did not fix it. After all it's about improving accuracy.

I am really enjoying the Delightful Stars Quilt-Along. Michele Foster does a wonderful job. The lessons are well written and the pace is just right. Looking forward to the next lesson.

Thanks for checking in.

1 comment:

  1. I thought Jana's star was especially good in hr quilt. I definitely like your Delightful stars.
    Lillian

    ReplyDelete