Sunday, April 13, 2014

I'm so excited-taking a class from Bonnie Hunter

Oh what a day. Spent the day working in the garden and gathering items for my trip down the road to Carrollton, KY for the  "It's Sew Fine" 2014 Sewing expo. It's taking place at General Butler State park and  tomorrow we begin with a sew-in with none other than Bonnie Hunter. Hurray! Check out the park's site. It looks like a beautiful place.http://parks.ky.gov/parks/resortparks/general-butler/default.aspx

Bonnie is teaching two classes. Scrappy Hidden Spools and Happy Scrappy Houses. She is so popular that they asked participates to pick which class we preferred so as many as possible have the opportunity to take one of her classes. I have picked Tuesday class which is Scrappy Hidden Spools. I had been considering this quilt even before I knew about the Sew-In.

The quilt is made of 2 inch strips. I have my 2 inch strips cut and even did a few test blocks. I am not going too scrappy because this quilt is for my nephew whose favorite color is orange. So I have all my orange fabrics from Celtic Solitics, plus a few other odd pieces of orange fabric. I am keeping it simple, with orange and white tone on tone fabrics. I am really excited to see this come together and get expert tips from Bonnie. I am so excited I probably won't sleep tonight.

No pictures today, but I should have lots to share when I return.

Okay, one picture.....Monday night is a sew-in...I am new to these things, but my understanding is you just bring something to sew....simple enough?  I have kits made up for spool blocks. This is from one of Bonnie's older leader/ender projects. I just keep making the little spools and someday I will have enough to make the size quilt I want. Actually this quilt is growing and growing. Maybe I really need a spool 12-step group.   I have had to do some trimming as some are over sized. I think I was not as accurate one my first several dozen, which as resulted in more trimming on the current blocks to keep things consistent.  So I am off for my little adventure. DH and the cat are staying home. I hope to have lots of pictures and stories to tell on my next post.



making more spools at the sew-in  















No comments:

Post a Comment