Friday, June 27, 2014

All Caught Up



Tranquil end to the day at Our Sunset Place.


The past few weeks have been a blur. We just returned from our annual anniversary trip to Port Clinton. This also happens to be where my long arm quilter, Sandy Erwin lives. And it's the home of my first quilt guild, The Port Clinton, Ohio Star Quilt Guild. The Guild is having a Quilt Show in July, so there was a lot to do to get ready for the trip and much to do while in Port Clinton to prepare for the Quilt Show.

First project completed is my Big Leaf. I took this class last fall from Pat Pauley at the Port Clinton Guild. I decide to complete my project as a pillow. (Did my own quilting) I had fun with this and am so happy with the way it turned out. I did minimal quilting on the leaf so it would stand out. The background is quilted more densely.

Big Leaf-design  Pat Pauley workshop


If you have followed the blog you may remember I have been working on a Round Robin series with the Port Clinton Guild. I have not seen everyone's finished project. But will see them in the quilt show.  While I was in Port Clinton, Sandy finished the quilting for my quilt. I added the binding and a hanging sleeve. The center block is called Meeting Point, from Fat Quarterly. I'll have pictures of the other quilts at the end of July.

Round Robin quilt-Meeting Point

My last big project was to finish the quilt for my son. His birthday is tomorrow. Sandy was finishing the quilting as we arrive. I had the binding with me, but as bad planning would have it, I was about 18 inches short. I did get the binding I had attached, leaving a little on each end to complete it when I got home. Luckily I had plenty of fabric to finish.

This pattern is a take off of Bonnie Hunter's quilt, Lozenges. I am calling it Looking for the Silver Lining. I played with grey tones for this quilt and am hopeful that he will really like the quilt.

Looking for the Silver Lining

Unfortunately the pictures really do not do justice to the quilt. The center is the Lozenges quilt, and I added the three borders. It was just a practical use of the leftover's that allowed me to make the quilt the size I needed.

One of the best parts of the trip was the Port Clinton, Ohio Star Guild meeting, which featured Cindy Oravecz of Quilter's Fancy. She talked to the group about embellishments and fabric trends. It was both interesting and entertaining.  See the picture below: On each side of Cindy is Polly and Sandy who are the co-vice presidents of the Guild.  The next morning we had a tasty breakfast on the deck of Sandy's bed and breakfast, Our Sunset Place.  Before I knew it, it was time to say good bye to friends and the lake. See ya in July for the Guild Quilt Show.


Polly, Cindy Oravecz of Quilter's Fancy in Cortland, Ohio,  and Sandy

3 comments:

  1. Coincidentally, my granddaughter (who is pregnant), her husband and their four children took off for Port Clinton very early this morning. I should be getting some pictures via Facebook soon of what they've been doing.

    Your projects are wonderful. I hope your son is doing OK.
    Lillian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cooincidentally, my granddaughter (who is pregnant), her husband their four children left at dawn to go to Port Clinton. I should be getting some pictures via Facebook soon to see what they've been doing.

    Your projects are wonderful. I hope your son is doing OK.
    Lillian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look awesome! Did Tom like his quilt?

    ReplyDelete