Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Stars Shining in Ohio

Oh my stars! I have completed the center of the Delightful Stars quilt along. It been a long project.  I have learned so much from Michele Foster's lessons. I must admit that I am was not a fan of sampler type quilts. I always had trouble getting everything to fit together. Thanks to Michelle's lessons and learning to really pay attention to piece sizes, this went together perfectly.

Center of Delightful Stars quilt


I made a few changes in layout by reversing some blocks. This was mostly to enhance the balance of the colors. I also redid one block. My first version just didn't fit. It's did not go to waste and my granddaughter loved it and we are making it into a pillow.

New and improved block

Original block

I also learned to paper piece. I think it is about the messiest thing I've done in a while. I do like the outcome, so I am sure I'll do it again in the future. Here are some of my paper pieced blocks.

Four of these stars are paper pieced.

Five stars in a row, diamonds and purple star are paper pieced.
This is the first time I have used a dark background and I like how the colors stand out against it.
Although I am excited about the progress I've made, I am far from completing this quilt. There are fiveborders.  There is a border of background fabric, then a border of four patch square. Another plain border and a pieced border. I just taking it a border at a time. I worry I might run out of the background. If I do I'm sure I can improvise.

The next lesson is August 26th. Until then I've tucked this project away and have decided to piece a lap quilt with some sunflower batik fabric I've been holding on to. Thanks for checking in.


No comments:

Post a Comment