Saturday, April 13, 2013

Sometimes what you think you know is not right.


Well I have been moving along and making progress on the St. Augustine quilt. Last blog I was convinced that my cottage fabric would not work. I only saw the big picture. Sometimes that works great. When I'm at work, planning my garden and sometimes planning a quilt, I like to see the big picture and then work out the details. That is why Mystery Quilts are so good for me. It forces me to look at the small part and put the big picture at the end. I can't believe how much I have learned about block construction by doing mystery quilts. So today's lesson learned is don't look at the big piece of fabric.Instead block off sections as big as your block piece and see what interesting details in the fabric shows themselves.

I practiced this and discovered all kind of neat components to the cottage fabric. So I am back to the original plan. And I shopped my stash a little more and found the perfect fabric to frame the cottage blocks.



I have put one block together just to get an idea if the look. As you can see there is some trimming to do. I do think cutting the larger cottage fabric worked well.


For the immediate future this quilt is being put aside. I really want, and have a compulsive need to get the second step of Bonnie Hunter's Lazy Sunday Mystery done. There is a lot to do and I don't want to get behind.

My granddaughter is now eleven! This is her birthday weekend, so she isn't coming, so Craftsy April block is also on the back burner too, just till next weekend.. .

So Bonnie, this is your weekend.Oh yes and if that isn't enough to make me crazy. I am thinking about starting one of Bonnie's free quilt patterns. It a toss between Sister's Choice and  I think... Pineapple Blossom.

No comments:

Post a Comment