Sunday, September 7, 2014

Delighted with Delightful Stars

I know that reading and seeing are brain functions. However, sometimes the message does not get from my eyes to the part of the brain that understands. That happened again this week. I just made 304 four patch blocks. Yes, the instructions say 304  2 1/2 squares for the 4 patch blocks. I did not realize my error until I  pulled out the instructions to put together my border. Oh my... I have a lot of four patch blocks left.

extra 4 patch blocks

Despite this detour, I was able to complete my Delightful Stars quilt today. I omitted the last two borders. One was a pieced border and then a four inch border of the background fabric. I have one half yard of background left. Not even close to what I needed. I know I could have tried to match but  decided against that. It is what it is, and it is finished (except for the quilting). I really like Michele Foster's process for the borders. I used the measurements she provided and pinned from the center out. Everything came together. Oh yeah!


Delightful Stars


 I have some threads to clip, a few pieces of paper stuck in a seam and a final pressing. Once that is completed it is ready for my long arm quilter. I am uncertain how I want this quilted; I know something simple, that does not distract from the design. Perhaps grey, or a varigated grey thread. I think this quilt is going to hang on the wall, so the back is not as important. However, I think it should at least compliment the front in case I change my mind.  Here are a few pictures of the corners.
Corner detail



More corner details.

Another decision is what to do with all those left over four patches. I am thinking about some oversize pillows. There are probably enough left for another quilt. I will just wait till inspiration strikes.

Other news: I am still waiting for my border fabric for the Jump quilt, so that quilt is in a holding pattern. The small lap quilt for my daughter is on hold too. The backing fabric is in the same shipment.

I have promised my sister's grandson a quilt. I think that will be my next project....So many quilts I want to make.  Thanks for checking in. Have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment