Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Finishing projects

I am so embarrassed that I have not blogged since April. I don't know why, or where the time went. I had good intentions.  It was only when a family member mentioned my blog that my brain woke up and I realized it had been too long since I logged in.

I have been sewing. First let's talk about Lady of Lake Erie. I'm blaming it on her. I wonder how a project that started out so hopefully could end up being like an albatross around my neck. I made so many mistakes. I've cut things wrongs (too small) and sewed squares together backwards. I had to rip out over 20 blocks. I did get the center together, but just could not bring myself to do the triangle border, so for now I have just made a scrappy border. Here she is.
Nearly finished Lady of Lake Erie.
Now I have the dilemma of how to finish this. This border is too blah. I have this big fish fabric that I purchased online for this quilt. Once I got it I realized the pattern was way to big for the blocks. I am thinking about using it for a border. How does a nice big border of fish swimming around the edge sound. I only have a yard, so I will need to purchase more fabric. I am pretty sure I can still get it.
Add a final border of fish?

While Lady of Lake Erie is still a work in progress, I did finish another quilt. It's called Hello Garden.
Hello Garden

This was a fun quilt to put together. It's all from scraps, except the constant green. It's been gifted to a friend. I can't believe I forget to get a picture of it quilted before I sent it off. I'm making another quilt with a off white background and pastels for a charity quilt for hospice. I really like this pattern. I think that I've been making lots of Bonnie Hunter quilts and my brain is struggling with the concentration required to piece some of them. I'm craving something simple and this fit the bill.

Oh one thing that's kept me from blogging. A tree uprooted Memorial Day Weekend. It took part of our deck, slide down the roof. It made a mess, but thankfully no one was hurt. Still it's been a distraction. And this is definitely a UFO.
What used to be deck steps and railing

Uprooted tree                             










I titled this post Finishing Projects and that is what I have been doing. How old is your oldest UFO. I think I pieced this quilt nearly 7 years ago. My granddaughter and I both made the same quilt. Her was very bright and colorful. Mine not so much. I also did not like how one block (the first block in a BMO) was so different. After Jana nagging me about not quilting it, I finally did. So here is my first UFO. (to be honest I still need to hand sew the back of the binding). It's quilted with cute bubble-bees. I'm glad it's finally done. I hate UFO's.
An old Craftsy BOM project.
Here is a close up of the quilting.
Too cute for words.



And......I finished my Allietare, quilted it and gifted it. In a previous post I discussed how I changed the pattern to make it easier.  It was a retirement gift for a co-worker.
Allietare-revisted

This week is a down week. I think I will work on piecing the Hello Garden charity quilt. We are taking a few days off to go on vacation. I have two appointments at Loveland Quilt Workshop to quilt in July. Hopefully I can get my remaining tops quilted during those visits.

Back after vacation. Happy piecing everyone.


1 comment:

  1. The Lady of Lake Erie quilt is really pretty and I think a border of fish fabric would be entirely appropriate. So sorry to hear about the tree. I hate to hear of someone losing a tree and having damage caused by it is even worse. I hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete