Sunday, March 10, 2013

Bonnie Hunter's Lazy Sunday Mystery Quilt

Okay, I admit it. I am hooked. I had such fun and learned so much from doing Bonnie's Easy Street mystery that when I saw she had a new mystery quilt in Quiltmaker I subscribed to the magazine. The first installment is in the March/April issue.

If you have done any of Bonnie's Mystery quilts on her Quiltville site you have been spoiled. I have a binder of instructions and illustrations from the Easy Street project. In Quiltmaker there is one page of instructions. Yikes I am feeling a little insecure. Bonnie nearly held our hands for Easy Street. After that experience it sort of feels like being thrown into the deep end without swimmies. Nevertheless I am motivated to see this project through to completion.

The colors that Bonnie chose are close to the Easy street palette. I wanted to do something different. I changed orange to yellow and my blues are lighter rather than teals. I also have a much more limited selection of fabrics in each color. I am also taking some chances with color and patterns selection in my light prints or tone on tone fabrics. I have selected some fabrics with motion and color. I am excited to see how it comes together.
Lazy Sunday fabric selection.
 
.The first step was easy. There are two different sets of four patch blocks and two sizes of half square triangles. It was easy to put together. I have to confess I do not use the magic triangle. I am mostly cutting from yardage or fat quarters. I do not have sufficient strips of fabric to go totally scrappy.

four patch blocks
You can see in the blocks above my "light-tonal" fabrics is not exactly settling into the background.

All step one blocks

If you look close at my green blocks you can see that the larger blocks  print fabric(speckled fabric) actually work well with my multicolored background fabric. This is just a happy accident.

Reluctantly I have put my Mystery Quilt away and will not so patiently wait for the next issue of the magazine. I hope I get to use the yellow. It just speaks of Lazy Sunday afternoons.

No comments:

Post a Comment