Thursday, August 8, 2013

Home from the Lake and working on Lazy Sunday with Bonnie Hunter


 Summer fun at the Lake - Port Clinton - Walleye Capital of the World

Athough the weather was cool, we enjoyed getting away for a few days and having special time with our grand-kids. Cool (freezing) water could not dampen Jana's enthusiasm for the pool. She even managed to make a new friend. 


Summer friends
We took Miller Ferry to the Island, and had a lazy day golf carting around the island. We played putt-putt and saw the sights. The area is preparing to celebrate the Bicentennial of the Battle of Lake Erie.

South Bass Island- Bicentennial of Battle of Lake Erie

Once back on the mainland we made a stop at Nautical Needle and as one would expect we HAD to purchase some fabric. Jana fell in love with these fat quarters. We have no plans for them at this time. The girl is learning to build a stash. Oh my!
Jana's fat quarters. Who can resist kitties?

I was just as bad. I bought a batik collection. The fabric that caught my eye was a batik with fish. Don't ask why or what I like about it. I don't know why I like it, I just do.  I also have no idea what I will do with it.

Love at first sight.


Now it's time to sew. The laundry is done, clothes put away and the grand-kids are back  home till this weekend. Quiltmaker magazine came right before we left. Since I'm still on vacation from work I have been able to put a fair amount of work into the quilt top. The center went together fairly easy. A few of my blocks had some imperfections, but the sashes helped even things out.

 I am happy with the way it is coming together. I am also content with my color choices. I went for a softer look and it worked. I still have enough contrast that the secondary patterns show up well. The greens I chose are much softer than Bonnie's. I also substituted  yellow for the orange.  I  limited the variety in fabrics and tried to keep a similar value within each color. It's raining (another good reason to sew), so the pictures are indoor, basement floor, pictures. I should be able to get some in natural light when it's completed and pressed.


All those green and white half square triangles made border 2




A idea of what it looks like.This is laying on my basement floor. Horrid light.

Those blocks with the green corner are the center of the quilt.



You might notice I have one side of border two done. Tomorrow I hope to finish the rest of border two and get the last border (3) done before the end of the weekend. It will take a little longer because when I made the purple units I forgot to cut the extra fabric, so they have just been sitting in the bin, unfinished..

Units for Border 3

Bonnie has said she will have a linky party in September for Lazy Sunday. I will be ready for sure. The only decision left to make is what color for the quilt back? Lavender, green, yellow? Any suggestions?


A touch of Italy-Italian food, a lovely garden and the lake. Happy memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment