Sunday, April 20, 2014

Shadow and the Hidden Spools - One Reason to Have a Design Wall.

I've only been back from the Sewing Expo for a few days. I have been sewing strips and making spool blocks. I decided this quilt will be 7 blocks wide and 8 blocks long. I have the blocks finished and placed on the basement floor. I think errors show up better in a picture, so I ran to get the camera.

First problem.
Something is amiss, and I don't think it's the ceiling fan.


I rearranged my blocks. I pulled out Bonnie Hunter's Hidden Spools instructions and realized I didn't have all my blocks alternating light/dark, or in my case white and orange. A few minutes is all it took to set things right.

Hidden Spools-Creamsicles

The culprit returns.
Just inspecting it, then time for a nap

One of these days I am going to make a design wall.  I finally got him shooed away, I stacked, pinned and numbered my rows so I am ready to sew tomorrow. Bonnie had suggested that I use a thin blue border between the blocks and my outer border. These are my border fabrics. The orange looks a little washed out here. I have used it in a few hidden spools blocks. You can see it to the right of the cats paw. I can't wait to see it all come together.

Thin blue (1.5 inches) and wide (3 inches) orange

I had hoped to finish this so I could take it to my long-arm quilter later this week. This funny thing called work will probably get in the way. Plus, I really don't want to rush this. It's a birthday present for a family member, so I want it to be just right.

These blocks are easy and fun to make. It's amazing how quick this has come together. I have decided to use the same pattern for a baby quilt. I think I have enough scraps from my stash to make most of the baby quilt. I still have not decided if I will use a neutral as my light fabric. They are not going to find out if they are having a boy or girl so this quilt will be bright and colorful, except for pink. Mom's not a fan of pink.

Contenders for a Hidden Spool baby quilt. 

So lots of fun ahead. For now first things first. Finish the orange and white, find a backing fabric and send it all to my long arm quilter...Are we have fun! 

No comments:

Post a Comment