Sunday, January 25, 2015

Tidying up-finishing simplier projects.

When ever I finish a big project like Grand Illusion, I like to give my sewing space a once over. I have cleaned my machine, and added a dab of oil. This should hold it over until I can get it in for it's yearly service and cleaning. This will leave me without my machine for at least a week. I've a plan. I put binding on two quilts, all that is left is to hand sew down the back. They are nice large quilts, so it should take awhile. Unfortunately for some reason the binding seems to be coming out wavy. I am not sure why. I used a walking foot. Any ideas?

Today I went through a big box of scraps. Some had already been cut into 2 1/2 inch strips. This is my meager attempt to be organized like Bonnie Hunter. I ended up with a shoe box size container of 2 1/2 inch strips, some 2 1/2 inch squares and some three inch strips. Not a bad start. There are a few other boxes to clear out, but I'm feeling satisfied with my progress. I also created on container for all orphan blocks.

Earlier in the week I finished a quilt top for a great nephew.  I am scheduled for a lesson on using the long arm machine at a local quilt store. It will be interesting.  Here is Brandon's quilt top.
Brandon's quilt top

Lastly I have been working on blocks for a Scrappy Mountain Majesty for my son. I'm not sure which layout I will use when it is done, and my son is absolutely no help. I wanted it to look something like the Smokey Mountains. Not sure if my fabric selections for the sky is working. So I have about half done...and many to go.

A sampling of blocks


An option for layout.

I am not thinking too far ahead. Hopefully the design solution will be clearer when I have more blocks completed.

Tuesday the machine goes to the shop and I'll be hand sewing. Let hope the snow misses us. Everyone have a great week.


2 comments: