Monday, February 16, 2015

A great weekend for indoor activities, and quilting with my granddaughter.

Oh yeah, a three day weekend. Grocery shopping was done on Friday night, and my granddaughter Jana came over for a long weekend. We are ladies on a mission. She wants to complete a quilt for her granddad and I'm making a baby quilt for a co-worker.

We ordered the fabric for her quilt last week. It arrived just in time for our sewing marathon. Jana's paternal grandfather is a Navy Veteran, and she wanted to making a patriotic quilt for him. We started on Saturday by designing the layout and cutting fabric. The top was finished by Sunday morning. The back was pieced by the afternoon. Finally Monday we made the quilt sandwich and she quilted it using a stitch in the ditch.

Quilting on her Janome

She picked a snoopy backing from the Hugs for Heroes collection.


She is very proud of her work and  that she completed this quilt. She has been sewing and making quilt tops for several years now (since she was 7) so it is no surprise that at 12 she can work pretty independently.

While Jana was working on her masterpiece I completed a baby quilt top. I found a lovely heart patterns in the newest McCalls Quilting. It's strange, but I stopped getting all my quilting magazines. I thought I had just too many already. While grocery shopping I was browsing through the newest McCalls and saw several quilts I liked. Of course I purchased the magazine and will probably end of renewing my subscription.The quilt in the magazine was full size and in reds, greys and white. My co-worker wants a pink and purple quilt.

I used the heart pattern, but changed the sashings, and of course, made fewer blocks. I love the way it turned out.

co-workers baby quilt
I decided to make  a sweet and girlie quilt that her daughter could continue to use as she grows. I used a baby fabric for the back. I especially like the outer border which is pink hand prints. So cute!
backing fabric



The back is pieced and I am just waiting for a long arm lesson on March 11 to quilt the quilt.

Jana's close up photo  

So we are tired and happy. I can't believe I am saying this, but I am done with sewing for the week. Back to work tomorrow, time to straighten our sewing area, and maybe..just maybe...I'll resume work on the Scrappy Mountain Majesty for my son later in the week. For now I am taking a hint from the cat. I am going to find a quilt, curl up on it and rest.
Thanks for checking in.




1 comment: