Sunday, August 7, 2016

Falling in love with partial seam blocks.

I know, I know.  I was all excited about my Row by Row project. It is sitting in a bin as I continue to collect patterns. I've decided to put it aside until I get my Christmas projects completed. I still need two patterns, and will be traveling to Dry Ridge, KY and Waynesville, OH this week. I'll add them to my collection. Once all my Christmas projects are completed I will return to the Row by Row. And I will focus and concentrate on applique.

More old business. I finished Bonnie Hunter's pattern Cathedral  Stars. I am satisfied with how it turned out. However, if I every do it again I think I will eliminate the red and blue borders and only surround it in black. Nevertheless, it's completed and ready for quilting. That is also taking a back seat to my Christmas projects.

Cathedral  Stars top


What has caught my fancy? Partial seam blocks have become my new obsession. I have been looking for something uncomplicated, something modern, with clean lines, and an interesting lay out. I found it in  Japanese Quilt Inspirations by Susan Briscoe.  I really like the Irori Quilt. In her book each block has a red center to represent the hearth of the home. I like that idea. I wanted to use fabric from my blue stash. I have a lovely Tula Pink backing. I hope to quilt it on my next visit to Loveland Quilt Workshop mid August. This is my favorite block  and the finished top.

favorite block.


Irori top

In the book the quilt is 7 rows wide and 7 rows deep. As you can see I made mine a 10 block square. I am using this pattern to make two Christmas quilts. They are 7 rows by 8 rows. One is completed, but has to stay a secret. I am half way through the second quilt. I can share the fabric I considered. Not every piece made it into the quilt. More to be reveled.
Christmas fabrics


I love to piece, but sometimes the brain just wants something simple. That is what attracted me to this block. 

Reasons to do partial seam blocks.
  • Easy way to use scraps: two length of width strips, 3 and half inches wide makes 3 blocks.
  • Vertical rows go together quickly.
  • Fewer seams to nest.
  • Design choices are unlimited.
  • Blocks go together quickly. I was able to do nearly 20 blocks in a little over an hour.
  • Not really a top or bottom to the block so you don't have to worry about putting a block in the wrong way.
Some tips:
  • Number your vertical rows
  • Keep numbers on rows till entire quilt together so no rows gets reversed .
  • Press each vertical row, reversing the direction of the seams with each row. Row one press up, row two press down. Everything will nest with little effort. No pinning needed. 

Label your rows so there are no reversals during assembly.

I will finish my blocks for the second Christmas quilt today, and will have it assembled before the end of the week. More old business. Sew the binding on three quilts I quilted last week. Two of those are for Christmas so once they are finished I will have a good start on holiday sewing.  I'm also thinking about making some mug rugs using the same block.

My projects-upcoming events:

  • Bind three quilts
  • Complete one Christmas quilt
  • Get appointments to quilt the four quilts that will need quilting.
  • Think about making mug rugs with my leftover Christmas fabric. 
  • Get that granddaughter back here so she can work on her quilt and Christmas mug rugs.
  • Enjoy the day.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! You go girl! I've been thinking Christmas too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love to see your projects and hear your plans. I wondered if your granddaughter was still quilting.

    ReplyDelete