Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Wrapping up 2016 Row by Row

It is with great relief that I report I have my top assembled for my 2016 Row by Row. I've learned many things working on this project.

First the positive. I like English Paper Piecing. I also enjoying playing around with designs and making them my own.

The flip side is, I don't like raw edge applique. I don't like doing it and I don't like the look of it. It may be my technique that is at fault. I even took a Craftsy class, hoping to get the skills I needed, but it was focused more on design and less on technique, so not much help. From a distance things look pretty good, but get too close and my, on my.  I discovered that certain fusible products may gum up your needle, which may cause your thread to break. This is frustrating. I wonder how this thing will hold up if it is washed?

As in the past I really modified the last pattern to suit my needs. It was a beautifully, detailed and complicated row. I simplified it by using less pieces, which meant less applique. I don't think you miss the pieces I left out.

Home is where the Cats are-simplified-bottom row
I needed more rows to balance out the quilt, so I created a row for My Sunset Place, our favorite bed and breakfast in Port Clinton, Ohio. I used I photo I took from their deck to create this row. While not an exact replica it does catch the spirit of the photo. It is the top row. You can't get much closer, to the water than this.

Top row - My own creation. Which represents Our Sunset Place
 I needed one more row to complete the quilt. I had difficulty  deciding whether to make a wonky house or a lighthouse. In the end the lighthouse won. I thought it represented arriving home safely, so it fit into the theme of Home Sweet Home. You can see it on the left below.
Home Sweet Home-laid out

Overall I am happy with the way it turned out. I toyed with the idea of a border, but rejected that idea. Honestly I am just kind of sick of this quilt. I plan to bind it with dark blue, which I think will be a nice frame.  Once this is quilted there a few embellishments I want to add. There are buttons for the bird's eyes, and something for the top of the lighthouse.

Will I ever make another Row by Row. I don't think so. All that is left is to piece the back. I plan to make a row using the license plates down the middle of the back. I am hoping against hope that my friend Sandy Erwin will quilt this. I have no idea what to do with it. I thought about just a meandering stitch, but with all the applique I just don't know what to do.

Completed top



Tasks at hand:  Finish the back

Upcoming projects? I'm thinking Paper Dolls by Brandon Mably. As soon as I clean up my Row by Row mess I'll search by stash for inspiration.


2 comments:

  1. I think it turned out beautifully. Very creative. Kind makes me wanna give it a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it turned out beautifully. Very creative. Kind makes me wanna give it a whirl.

    ReplyDelete