|The view from the window (too cold on the deck).|
First task for our visit was to complete the current Round Robin. I had my border on, but have only appliqued once before. I knew what I wanted, but could not get there. I can do the stitching, but the design had me stumped. Luckily Sandy is not a newbie, and had a book on flowers and applique. She helped me design the flower, which is supposed to be a Lily of the Valley. Personally I think it looks more like a snow drop. Sandy assured me it does not need to be that realistic. We made the applique patterns from freezer paper, which ended up being good practice for class the next day.
|Lily of the Valley applique.|
Friday night we attended a lecture with Pat Pauly. It was both fun and interesting and really set the stage for the next day. Everyone was very excited to learn from this talented artist.
This quilt is still a work in progress. I have to determine fabric for the darts on the left side. As we drew the pattern on the freezer paper Pat recommended we put dashes on each side of our patterns so we can put them together correctly. Well I guess I forgot to do that on one side. It made assembly a little tricky as I tried to find the right pattern pieces to mark the missing dashes. Overall it is going together okay. I have a lot to learn about color and fabric selection. I was not supposed to let the white paper peak through the design. I am sure you all get the idea. Over all I am pleased with how this is turning out, especially considering this was made from scraps I just picked up and tossed in a container. I will finish it before the end of the week and do the quilting too. It is only 2' by 2'. I can handle that.
|Big Leaf - pattern by Pat Pauly|
Next week Jana and I will be back, quilting together. Thanks for checking in.