I am planning to do something new, take a few risks and let the chips fall where they may. After a slow start I have everything cut for clue one. So far I completed 20 Broken Dishes blocks. I hope to get a few more done later tonight. That will be it for the week as I am traveling for work. I've played around with the layout. It is fun to see the various patterns you can get from one block, and I'm always surprised by how Bonnie integrates the blocks into her designs.
|Broken Dishes blocks|
I hoped to get an early start, but you know sometimes life gets in the way. Second reason for delay is my indecision about my colors. As I said, I got this crazy idea to do something different, something I've wanted to try for a while. That is to reverse colors, like a negative. Sooooo, I am using my neutrals for Bonnie's teal. My turquoise watery fabric will be her neutral. Brown for black, purple for pink. Yellow is still the constant and I am thinking about a constant for the green too. I will wait till we use green to decide.
|Fabrics for Grand Illusion|
I realize this is taking a big risk since we have no idea what this is going to look like. My idea is that the pattern will appear to be floating in water. Now I know that this is a little out there. And my decision may totally backfire, only time will tell. Nevertheless it will be an interesting experiment, and since this will be my quilt(not a gift), it really does not matter. I'm easy to please.
I used the easy angle rules to cut the half square triangles. I've used other methods in the past, but when I am learning from someone (and boy do I learn from Bonnie), I try to use their methods too. It's good to try new ways. It takes a little time to get used to the ruler, but I've am feeling more comfortable with it. Also it is pretty speedy to cut and then strip sew the triangle pieces. As with all practice, you have to learn something after 280 half square triangles.
|Creating kits for broken dishes block|
So far things are going together pretty well. I am knocking on wood as I say I think I'm making progress in this accuracy thing, and that scant 1/4 inch. So far I have not had to trim any half square triangles, what a time saver that is.
I'm looking forward to Monday's link up. It is so cool to see everyone's progress. Till next week. Happy piecing everyone. If I've done it correctly the link below should take you back to the link-up