Sunday, February 10, 2013

Tula Pink's Tranquil Waters

Salt Water Collection
Did you every pick up fabric or see a pattern that just set your heart a flutter? I am not sure why, but I fell head over heels for Tula's Pink's Salt Water collection. I was even more excited when I saw her web page illustrating the fabrics in a pattern called Tranquil Waters. I did a little search and was lucky that Fabric Shack had every single fabric I needed for the quilt. It was so easy how could I not order?  I think it is a combination of the colorway and the subject matter that won me over.

I have to admit that I really had not paid enough attention to  Tula's collections to really appreciate the detail that goes into the fabric. I am enjoying and appreciating the complexity of her designs. I think my favorite is the waves with all kinds of things bobbing along. Of course the shells are fabulous too. I like just looking for hidden details in the fabric.

This quilt is really simple. The pattern is 5 x 9.5 rectangles alternating with  flying geese the same size.Every other row rotates to create a  zigzag. If you have a good enough imagination it resembles waves.
All the rows stacked and ready to put together.


The instructions say to draw a diagonal  line from corner to corner in the 5 inch square.One trick I came up with is rather than drawing a line to stitch along I finger pressed the corners as I fold the squares. Once set I press them in place. I just open the square and stitch besides the fold. I can check my placement before stitching and trimming the extra fabric to make sure my orientation is correct.


This shows how the block flips with each row. I found pressing and setting the triangle in the corners a good method for staying organized.
Another fun thing is as I sew and trim the flying geese I end up with two triangles. I have been stringing these together and will have a nice collection of half square triangles when I finish.
Left overs from the flying geese.

I know I have pledged to use my scraps to piece a quilt back for the last two quilts. This time I mean it!  This  week I will be sewing the rows together. The instruction suggests assembling the rows vertically and then sew each row together. Usually my quilts require rows be put together horizontally. So even though the pattern is simple there is still something new to learn. I can't wait to see how it comes together.

No comments:

Post a Comment